The legend - now even more dynamic and modern
Downloads for this Press Release
- The new Mercedes-Benz SL is a top performer in a wide variety of disciplines: an elegant roadster for relaxed, comfortable cruising or a dynamic coupé for sporty trips on winding roads. Few cars can draw on six decades of heritage with such a clear eye to the future.
- Visually the front end in particular has been made significantly sportier. As a result the bonnet, bumper and headlamps, among other features, are all new.
- The lavishly appointed interior meets every wish: the standard scope includes sports seats in nappa leather with optimised lateral support, model-specific upholstery layout, multicontour function and seat heating.
- The latest generation Mercedes-Benz SL takes the meaning of the well-known abbreviation "SL" – Super-Light – literally at its word. Here for the first time Mercedes-Benz has implemented an all-aluminium bodyshell as part of large-scale series production.
- Highlights of the features of the Driving Assistance package Plus include Distance Pilot DISTRONIC and Steering Pilot and Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function.
New appearance for an automotive icon: More powerful engines, the automatic transmission, 9G-TRONIC, DYNAMIC SELECT with five transmission modes and Active Body Control with the curve tilting function all take the legend to a new dynamic level. Its suitability for everyday use has been enhanced with the vario- roof, which can now be operated at up to 40 km/h, and the automatic boot separator. Visually the front end in particular has been made significantly sportier. As a result the bonnet, bumper and headlamps, among other features, are all new.
“For more than 60 years now, the Mercedes-Benz model range with the "SL" acronym has enthralled sports car fans around the world. The new Mercedes-Benz SL is a top performer in a wide variety of disciplines: an elegant roadster for relaxed, comfortable cruising or a dynamic coupé for sporty trips on winding roads. Few cars can draw on six decades of heritage with such a clear eye to the future,” said Lennart Mueller-Teut, Head of Marketing & Communications, Mercedes-Benz Cars Middle East.
Exterior design: new appearance for the athletic aesthete
The Mercedes-Benz SL has always been athletic and aesthetic at the same time. A particularly eye-catching feature of the new SL is the revised front end: the standard, unique diamond radiator grille extends downwards. Two power domes accentuate the long, drawn-out bonnet. Also adding to the unmistakable new appearance of the SL is the new standard-fit LED Intelligent Light System with headlamp housing extending far to the outside. The sporty silhouette is emphasised by the enlarged cosmetic air outlets with wing-like chrome inserts in the dynamic, broad vehicle wings and the exterior mirrors positioned on the beltline.
The rear end points to the high driving dynamics of the SL. The basis for this is the sense of width created by the large track gauge, accentuated by the AMG rear apron with side air intakes.
Brilliant blue and designo selenite grey magno are available to choose from by way of new colours, plus the range of light-alloy wheels in the size 48.3 cm (19 inches) has also been extended significantly.
Interior design: sports car atmosphere in comfortable surroundings
The lavishly appointed interior covers every wish: the standard scope includes sports seats in nappa leather with optimised lateral support and model-specific upholstery layout, multicontour function and seat heating. Carbon-fibre trim and the analogue clock in IWC design highlight the high-performance roadster's special standing. Comprehensive individualisation of the interior is possible with the broad selection of leather finishes and trim elements. The colour saddle brown is new in combination with nappa leather and Exclusive nappa leather.
The three-spoke sports steering wheel has a magnesium structure and features an ergonomic grip area and a high-quality finish. The wheel rim has a flattened bottom section, and silver-coloured steering wheel shift paddles enable manual gear changes to be made.
Lovingly designed details such as the analogue clock adorn the centre console. Its new graphic design is based on the instrument cluster. Depending on the transmission mode selected by DYNAMIC SELECT, the media display presents dynamic driving data: longitudinal and lateral acceleration (in a G-force cross) or torque and output.
Intelligent Drive: Driving Assistance package Plus and LED Intelligent Light System
As standard in the SL 500 comes the Active Brake Assist, known as COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS in other model series. In addition to radar-based proximity warning and braking assistance by Adaptive Brake Assist, this Active Brake Assist system carries out autonomous braking to reduce the danger of rear-end collisions. If the driver fails to act when a risk of a collision is detected, despite the warning lamp in the instrument cluster and the intermittent audible alert, the system will initiate automatic braking. This significantly reduces the vehicle speed. At low relative speeds, this intervention may be sufficient to prevent a rear-end collision with slower-moving or stationary vehicles.
Also as standard in the SL 500 is the Driving Assistance package with stereo camera and in some cases new as well as improved functions. Highlights of the features of the Driving Assistance package Plus:
- Distance Pilot DISTRONIC and Steering Pilot: assists the driver with maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle in front and staying in the centre of the lane. The radar and camera-based system brakes when necessary and accelerates again, if possible, to the preset desired speed. The Steering Pilot can take the strain off the driver when it comes to lateral guidance of the vehicle. On straight roads and gentle curves it generates steering torque which contributes to keeping the vehicle in the centre of the lane.
- Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function: is able to warn the driver of impending crash situations, provide optimum support with emergency braking and if necessary also automatically apply the brakes itself. In addition to detecting slower-moving or stationary vehicles, it also detects crossing traffic at junctions, the tail ends of traffic jams and pedestrians in the danger zone ahead of the vehicle, for example. The PRE-SAFE® Brake is able to detect not only slower-moving or stationary vehicles but also pedestrians, to brake autonomously if the driver fails to react.
For optimum visibility on country roads and motorways, when cornering and on bends, the standard-fit LED Intelligent Light System automatically adapts to all light and driving conditions. The five functions of the LED Intelligent Light System include motorway mode, cornering light function, camera-based active light function, roundabout light function and also the enhanced fog light function.
Comfort furnishing: convenient operation of the vario-roof
SL fans also appreciate the sports car icon on account of its high suitability for everyday use. With the facelift, comfort furnishing have been improved even further. These include operation of the electrohydraulic vario-roof. If when opening or closing the roof the vehicle has to move off due to the traffic conditions, the process which was started when at a standstill can be continued up to a speed of approx. 40 km/h. Equally new is the automatic boot separator. If the separator is in the upper position for increased boot capacity, it automatically moves down when the top is opened. Conversely, the automatic boot separator returns to the upper position as soon as the boot flap is opened.
A further practical detail in the boot is the loading setting - the roof stowed in the boot can be swung upwards by approximately 25 degrees at the press of a button. The KEYLESS-GO Convenience package includes remote closing of the boot lid as well as HANDS-FREE ACCESS. With this, the lid opens or closes automatically after making a kicking motion with the foot beneath the rear bumper.
When it comes to ambient lighting, Mercedes-Benz has opted for LED technology and has extended the colour range: in addition to solar red, the colours polar blue and polar white can also be chosen. One of the highlights is ambient lighting with projection of the brand logo.
Even more choice: the Curve function on the ABC suspension for the first time
Alternatively there is another option available in the guise of Active Body Control (ABC) with curve tilting function. ABC reduces body movements when moving off, braking and cornering. The spring struts of the ABC suspension are adjusted to the respective driving conditions via so-called plunger cylinders. The dampers only have to eliminate wheel vibrations and can be set up in such a way as to ensure comfort without losing any of the sportiness.
Lighter and stiffer: elaborate all-aluminium bodyshell
The latest generation of the Mercedes-Benz SL takes the meaning of the well-known abbreviation "SL" – Super-Light – literally at its word. Here for the first time Mercedes-Benz has implemented an all-aluminium bodyshell as part of large-scale series production. Only relatively few components are made using other materials. High-strength steel tubes are integrated in the A-pillars to increase safety.
The aluminium bodyshell weighs around 110 kg less than if it had been produced using steel technology. The aluminium structure is not only lighter, but also superior in terms of rigidity, safety and comfort.
The models at a glance:
|Number of cylinders/arrangement||6/V||8/V|
(kW/hp at rpm)
|270 (367) at 5500-6000||335 (455) at 5250|
(Nm at rpm)
|Combined fuel consumption
from (l/100 km)
|Combined CO2 emissions from (g/km)||175||205|
0-100 km/h (s)
|Top speed (km/h)||250||2450|
Pricing starts from USD 99,300 for the SL 400, USD 120,200 for the SL 500
Media and PR Senior Executive
Mercedes-Benz Cars Middle East
Direct: +971 (0)4 80 65 092
Regional Account Director
Phone: +971 (0)50 570 6785